Fusiliers' Aid Society

Benevolence Support

As a regiment we always look after our soldiers and their families, both in service and after they have retired.

What are we?

The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers Aid Society (FAS) is the Regimental benevolent and welfare fund of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and its antecedent Regiments. FAS has incorporated the benevolent funds of our antecedent Regiments and continues to honour their obligations.

FAS is registered with the Charities Commission for England and Wales (Charity number 229259). FAS is also a member of the Confederation of Service Charities (COBSEO) and is registered with the Fundraising Regulator.

FAS is administered by the Assistant Regimental Secretary, working with various specific committees. It is governed by a Board of Trustees.

Who do we assist?

FAS helps all Fusiliers, regardless of rank, serving and retired, and their families and dependants when they are in hardship or need. FAS supports regulars and reserves, as long as they are ‘badged’ as RRF and have at least one days service. A dependant is classed as:

  • A spouse of a serving or former member of the Regiment
  • A civil partner of a serving or former member of the Regiment
  • Children of eligible persons who are aged under 18.

A spouse of a serving or former member of the Regiment, who remarries or forms a new relationship with a non-eligible person, may not be eligible for future assistance from FAS.

It should be noted, however, that eligibility for assistance does not mean that assistance will be provided. Each case is considered on its merits.

How to apply for assistance?

As each request for assistance is judged on its own merits, FAS works closely with other agencies to establish the level of hardship and need.

Anyone seeking assistance from FAS should follow the procedure outlined below, although Unit Welfare Officers can deal directly with FAS by submitting a request to RHQ. However, it is better to use a SSAFA, TRBL or WWTW caseworker as then other relevant military charities (such as ABF and if applicable, other Regiments and Corps charities) will be able to support the case.

For ease of reference, we will use the term ‘client’ to identify the person in need.

  • The client should contact either SSAFA or TRBL and request a visit from a caseworker. Contact details for both organisations can be found online using the links below.
  • Anyone contacting RHQ direct will be referred either to our Regimental Welfare Mentors (RWM), or to SSAFA or RBL as above.

What can FAS help with?

We use a very wide definition of ‘hardship’ and ‘need’ however we expect that all state funding has been applied for (RWM’s can provide information, advice and guidance), and that all other funding avenues have been exhausted. It must be noted, that in the vast majority of cases, FAS provides part funding, taking into account the requestors individual situation, as well as the level if need being met. It is unlikely that FAS will provide 100% of the funding required.

Each case is considered on its own merits, but generally speaking:
  • Payment of rent, council tax and other utilities bills (including water) or arrears that are considered priority debts and non-payment will result in eviction.
  • Bankruptcy fees or Debt Relief Orders where recommended by a recognised Benefits and Money Advisor.(for example, Stepchange or Citizens Advice Bureau). Any subsequent financial advice must be followed.
  • Purchase of essential needs such as clothing, essential household goods and in emergency situations, food.
  • Contributions towards the cost of Electrically Powered Vehicles (EPV) i.e. scooters or wheelchairs, stair lifts, bath lifts, riser/recliner chairs, profiling beds and other medical aids not supplied by NHS.
  • Contributions towards convalescent/respite holidays for the sick, elderly or infirm and/or their carers.
  • Contributions towards essential house repairs/maintenance such as rewiring, decorating, replacement doors or windows of private properties that cannot be done by grants from Local Authorities. Apart from essential interior decorating this does not apply to Local Authority or private lets.
  • For the elderly/sick/disabled – contributions towards bathroom/wet room or kitchen adaptations that cannot be done by the Local Authority or where unnecessary delay is imposed.
  • Small grants towards essential tools of trade, course fees to enable training for other/better employment.
Please note the following:
  • A confirmed job offer must be provided in the case of benevolence requests for course/training fees.
  • A business case must be provided in the case of self-employment.
  • Repatriation costs for immediate family for compassionate reasons or medical need. Assistance will not be provided for uninsured persons.
  • Contribution towards specialised medical treatments not available through the NHS where urgent need has been identified by a recognised medical specialist.
  • Anyone serving a prison sentence. However, our main consideration is given to assisting with pre-release courses that enhance the client’s employability upon release. Help may be given to dependents at home.

How can I contribute?

The main income for FAS comes from investments, but a significant portion comes from the One Days Pay Scheme (now call Payroll Charity Giving) and donations.


Since 2019, FAS, in conjunction with Sterling Lotteries, has operated a monthly lottery scheme. Sterling have provided lottery services for over 30 years. They have over 250 clients, of which many are recognisable charities, including RAFA and the RN & RM Benevolent Fund. They are regulated by the Gambling Commission and the Lotteries Council. FAS has selected Sterling’s low risk Unity lottery to generate income for us and to give you a chance of winning.

To join the FAS lottery scheme, click here.


Donations are vital to ensure that our support can continue. Everyone is encouraged to consider raising funds for FAS. Please DONATE HERE.

What is the Day’s Pay Scheme?

The Day’s Pay Scheme was introduced in 1965. It provides the mechanism, which has been adopted Army-wide, for the collection of subscriptions to Regimental Charities and Associations from serving officers and soldiers. Since the introduction of Joint Personnel Administration (JPA) in April 2007, Day’s Pay subscriptions have been collected through a ‘Payroll Giving Scheme’. The Payroll Giving Scheme is a Government backed initiative to assist UK charities. JPA deducts monthly subscriptions to the scheme from an individual’s pay before it calculates the individual’s income tax. This provides a direct tax benefit to each subscriber. JPA then distributes cumulative subscriptions, via a major bank, direct to Arms and Corps by means of 12 monthly payments. All new joiners should complete a JPA E014 and submit it to RHQ for processing.

What happens when I leave the Army?

When you are discharged from the Army your military pay ceases. At the same time your Day’s Pay Scheme subscriptions automatically stop as they are drawn down from military pay only. However, “Once a Fusilier Always a Fusilier” and access to benevolence support through FAS remains open to you and your immediate dependants (see above).


Leaving a legacy to FAS in your will is a very tax efficient way of helping your Regiments. RHQ can provide a guide of how best to set about this, but basically there are 2 types of legacy – either a fixed percentage or a fixed sum of money.

To include a legacy in your will, we recommend that a solicitor is used to amend an existing will. For further information and guidance, please contact the Assistant Regimental Secretary on asstregtsec@the fusiliers.org